Mila's cabinet of curiosities

Hiiiiiiii

My name is Mila and I am a junior majored in film studies and history. I'm going to show you one of my favorite tattoos today. I got this tattoo in June of last year, it's my second tattoo. The reason for getting this tattoo is I wanted to tattoo one of my favorite movies Cleo from 5-7 on my body.  




Here's the tattoo


💚💚💚💚💚💚





The movie is talking about the protagonist Cleo who thought she had cancer and was going to die, so she has been very anxious, to seek solace in astrology tarot. But when she walked out the door and saw herself in the mirror, she suddenly made up her mind and said, "As long as I am beautiful, I'm alive." I was completely shocked by this line because I grew up not very confident in my own body. However, after coming to Lawrence I found that no one cares what you wear, whether you are skinny or not, I felt more comfortable and relaxed in this environment. 





Nevertheless, I never thought of dressing myself up in school because I was afraid that other people would think I was weird or overdressing. But after watching this movie I realized that I should just make myself look good every day because I realized I just wanted to make myself happy by dressing myself up.  As I enjoyed the changes I had about my look, I became more obsessed with my body and tried to record my friends and my own body in film or photos. Afterward, I went to a tattoo artist to design this tattoo, and I wanted to represent my body's curves and my attitude towards my body.



Another reason made my experience unforgettable is all the feedbacks I receive after I had this tattoo. This tattoo's position is more obvious than my last one, which is more exposed to others. Hence, it kinda shows what my current environment is and whether I'm satisfied with my current life or not. Basically, most of my friends love it and no one strongly dislike it. A quote from "The Medium is The Massage" illustrated my viewpoint clearly which is, 


Youth instinctively understands the present environment the electric drama.  ---Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is The Massage 


What's more, I was super impressed by my family's attitude towards my tattoo, my mom was very upset about me getting my second tattoo at first. I was surprised when she started showing off my tattoo to her friends after accepting the fact that I had it. She was super impressed by my ideas and she might like them. However, she didn't feel like complimenting my tattoo fit into her values. It is understandable because she has her own social life; she does not have to act differently if she does not wish to. Therefore, I think the meaning of so-called "bold impressions" like piercing and tattoos depends on where people live or who surrounds them. Because my mom's reactions are completely different from what I thought she would be, it turns out it does not matter what other people think about me, even my closest family, because they do not even take my reaction personally or regard my actions as something that would be against them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's just a jam bruh